Five Best Places to Watch 4th of July Fireworks in Destin
When it comes to enjoying a fireworks show, finding the best viewing point is key. The Fourth of July brings thousands of tourists to the area and heavy crowds can make it difficult to get a good view of the fireworks. The last thing you want to be doing on July 4th is competing for a parking spot in an overcrowded lot, and then ending up missing the fireworks all together (speaking from experience). It’s all about having a game plan.
The best thing you can do when looking for the perfect place to view fireworks in Destin is to plan to get there early – at least 2 hours before the event begins. Carpooling or walking to your destination will also help your evening get off to a smooth start. Before this happens though, you’ve got to pick a location! We consider these to the five best places to watch fireworks on the Fourth of July in Destin:
1. Norriego Point – This peninsula separates the Destin Harbor from the Gulf of Mexico and has an amazing view. Parking is very limited here (approximately just 20 spaces), but if you manage to get a spot, you’ll be directly under the Destin Harbor fireworks that kick off at 9:00 p.m.
2. Okaloosa Island – The Island is right between Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Find a spot essentially anywhere on the beach (we suggest The Boardwalk) and you’ll get to watch two firework shows! You’ll have the perfect vantage point for viewing both Ft. Walton Beach’s firework display to the west at 8:15 p.m. and Destin’s to the east at 9:00 p.m.
3. Baytowne Wharf – This is the perfect place to watch fireworks if you have children with you. The location is perfect for kids, with fun activities and playgrounds to entertain the children while you wait on the fireworks to begin. Baytowne will set off their fireworks at 9:15 p.m.
4. On a boat – One of the greatest things about living in or visiting Destin is the opportunity to spend time on the water. It’s a popular choice for locals to take their boats out to Crab Island (a large sandbar near the Destin Bridge) to watch the fireworks. Visitors can do the same by renting a boat from any of the area’s water sport and pontoon boat rental shops or hop on a Dolphin Cruise.
5. Destin HarborWalk Village – Granted that it may be the most crowded place in all of Destin on July 4th, it provides endless fun and celebration for a memorable Fourth of July experience. Take a seat along the harbor and enjoy the beautiful view of fireworks lighting up the sky and reflecting over the harbor.